Monday, April 24, 2017

Blessed are Those Who Have Not Seen

©junglechicaphotography

Last Sunday, I found myself in John 20:19-23 (mainly, because I was listening to a sermon by John Piper) and afterwards, my gaze drifted to the account of Thomas doubting Jesus was really, well, real. Verse 29 says, "Jesus said to him [Thomas], "Have you believed because you have seen Me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believe."


Wow. Just, wow. I've probably read this account several times during my life as a Christian. I didn't see the connection what Jesus said, to one of my absolutely favorite verses in 1 Peter 1:8. Want to know what it says? Good, thought you might. ;)


| Though you have not seen Him, you love Him. Though you do not now see Him, you believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory | 1 peter 1:8 | 

I thought this was a beautiful connection. I admit, I sometimes struggle with believing He is there. It's hard at times, to believe in someone you literally cannot see. But Thomas doubted. It took him seeing Jesus' hands and side to believe it was all real. For me, however, I pray and beg to the Lord during those times of doubt, to "help me in my unbelief".

Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. When I came to know Christ as my Savior and Lord, I didn't see Him. I didn't have physical proof or had any vision or dream of Him. I believed in Him without seeing. I love that verse. I love the verse in 1 Peter. It's a BEAUTIFUL reassurance and comfort for all followers of Christ to take to heart.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I have always been encouraged by those verses. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for reading my blog! I love comments, so post as many as you like. Keep in mind to be respectful to others and me. No inappropriate comments will be published.